Welcome! I have teamed up with Michael Miller Fabrics to bring you this fun Christmas Applique Contest. *This blog post contains affiliate links at no cost to you.
Below you will find the FREE Train Applique PDF download that you will need to use to enter the Contest.
The Goal is for you to make your own version of this Train Applique, I can’t wait to see what you create!
How to Enter the Applique Contest:
- This contest is open worldwide which makes my Canadian heart very happy!
- To enter to win, you will post your versions of the train appliqué on your Instagram and use the hashtag #MMFtrain and tag @michaelmillerfabrics by December 12th, 2022.
- Your Instagram account will need to be public for Michael Miller Fabrics to see your entries.
- Don’t have an Instagram Account? No worries! You can still enter by emailing your photos to email@example.com.
- You are of course encouraged to use Michael Miller basics but you are more then welcome to use any other fabrics you have in your fabric stash as well.
The winner will be announced on December 13, 2022 on Michael Miller Fabrics Instagram Account, through their stories. If you entered via email they will contact you through email to let you know.
The contest prize is this beautiful Noel Fat Quarter Bundle, it has 12 very festive Fairy Frost prints that are a joy to sew with. You can see a lot of these prints in use on my Table Runner.
Applique Sewing Items I used:
- Small, Sharp Sookie Sews Crafting Scissors (these are SUPER sharp! I love them!)
- Small, 14mm Shark Rotary Cutter
- Sookie Sews Angled Precision Tweezers Scissors
- Normal Rotary Cutter
- HeatnBond Lite or HeatnBond Featherlight (the best way to applique! See how I rhymed there? lol!)
Michael Miller Fabric I used:
- Fairy Frost Fabric Line
- Corn Cob Snowmen
- Winking Santas
- Gingerbread treats
- Tiny Holly
- Holiday Plaid
- Crayon Box Bundle (fairy frost)
- Noel Bundle (fairy frost)
Table Runner Measurements:
If you want to make the exact table runner that I did for my train applique then follow these measurements:
Fabric Cut List:
- All Fabrics used are Michael Miller Fabrics
- Center Fabric: Cut at 11.5″ by 41″ (Fairy Frost Bling Fabric)
- Boarder Fabric: Cut three 2.5″ Strips from Selvage to Selvage (Fairy Frost Evergreen Fabric)
- Low Loft Fusible Fleece for the middle.
- Backing Fabric: Larger then the top, I sewed two pieces together to make a 19″ by 49″ piece (Corn Cob Snowman Fabric)
- Binding: Cut three 2.5″ Strips (Holiday Plaid Red Fabric)
- If you are doing the added Applique you will also need HeatnBond Light or HeatnBond Featherlight as well as some fun scrap fabrics.
The Table Runner finishes at 45″ by 15.5″
How to Make the Table Runner:
- All seams are sewn at 1/4″ Seam Allowance, Press the seams open as you go.
- Sew the Boarder strips along the top and bottom of the center fabric. Trim the ends to be flush.
- Cut the third Boarder strip in half and sew to either short end of the table runner. Trimming the ends to be flush as well.
- Add the fusible fleece to the back of the table runner top following the fusible instructions.
- Attach your Applique, to learn how to do this follow this tutorial here.
- Stitch the Applique in place, to learn how to do this follow this in depth tutorial here.
- Lay the backing fabric wrong side face up, laying the table runner top on top of it face up. Pin together the layers prepping it for quilting.
- Follow this tutorial to learn how to Quilt and Bind your table runner.