I have seen so many different ways to make rainbow wall hangings. This Large Rainbow wall hanging is made from cheap materials and is super easy to make!
Watch the whole process in this You Tube Video Tutorial.
This post contains affiliate links. If you shop through these links I make a small commission. This allows me to continue to make free content for you. I appreciate your support.
What you need to make your large rainbow wall hanging:
- Pipe insulation (found in the plumbing section of a hardware store)
- Wire (something thicker then floral wire but still bendable)
- Colorful Yarn
- Chunky or Thick Yarn for the clouds
- Hot Glue & Glue Gun
- Wire Cutter
- Needle Set: Curved Needle & Large Needle
- Embellishments like Fine Yarn, Felted Balls, Bows, ect.
HOW TO MAKE A LARGE RAINBOW WALL HANGING:
LARGE RAINBOW’S DIMENSIONS:
Three pieces of piping cut to:
- 46 Inches
- 40 Inches
- 35 Inches
- 29 1/2 Inches
MEDIUM RAINBOW’S DIMENSIONS:
One or Two pieces of piping cut to:
- 29 1/2 Inches
- 24 1/2 Inches
- 20 Inches
Cut the pipe insulation to the correct lengths.
Wrap the yarn onto the piping.
Then begin wrapping it along the piping, stopping to pull the yarn tighter together before continuing to wrap the yarn.
Once the yarn is covering the entire piping tube it is time to finish it.
Take a thicker needle, place the yarn through it and pull it back towards the wrapped up yarn. This will hold the yarn in place.
Time to stitch your yarn covered piping together with thread and a curved needle.
Making this easier you can pile up two stacks of books on either side of your rainbow to keep it in the curve you want while stitching.
Hot Glue the back of the arches to help seal the threaded curves.
Time to make the clouds. This can be done two ways:
- Cut THICK Yarn into 1 foot lengths.
- Tie a knot in the center.
- Hot glue the knot into the center of the piping.
- Pull apart the yarn.
- Run a line of hot glue along the front of the rainbow and pull the thick yarn up to it.
- Do the same along the back.
- Massage the fluffy yarn into a cloud!
- Take CHUNKY Yarn and wrap it around the back of a chair 15 to 20 times.
- Fold it in half two times and tie a piece of yarn in the center.
- Cut the loops.
- Glue the knots along the front of the rainbow.
- Take a thick needle or pick and untangle the yarn so it looks crimped.
- Run a line of hot glue along the front of the rainbow and pull the crimped yarn up to it to cover the knots.
Attach a piece of yarn through the back of the rainbow with a thick needle from the needle kit, tie a knot to create a place to hang your large rainbow wall hanging!
Add any embelishments you want and revel in your work!
- Felt Balls glued along the top of the rainbow or above the clouds.
- Braided Yarn glued into the ridge of one of the rainbows curves.
- Metallic Yarn twisted around a single yarn covered tube before putting it together.
- Bow glued to one side of the rainbow.
And you officially have a beautiful large rainbow wall hanging to place in a nursery for decor or even a kids room, or dare I say, living room!?!