This is the best tote bag sewing tutorial for any beginner sewer to start with.
You only need one piece of canvas fabric and your basic sewing tools.
*This post contains affiliate links, if you shop through them I will make a small commission which allows me to continue to make these free tutorials for you. I appreciate your support.
Tote Bags Finished Size:
- Body of Tote Bag: 15.5″ High by 14″ Wide.
- Handles: 10″ from the top of the tote bag to the top of the strap.
You Will Need:
- 3/4 Yard of Canvas Fabric (you may get away with a half yard but it will depend on the width of the fabric from selvage to selvage).
- All Purpose Sewing Thread.
- Measuring Gauge (optional)
- Sewing Stiletto (optional)
- Jean Sewing Needle (optional).
- Remember to backstitch when you start and stop for every seam sewn.
- Cut the main fabric at 15″ by 35″
- Cut 2 pieces for the straps at 3″ by 27″
Watch the Video Tutorial HERE:
To follow along and put your beginner tote bag together, watch all the steps in this video tutorial.
Tote Bag Sewing Tutorial (Step by Step):
- Cut all three pieces of fabric.
- Fold the main piece in half (Right Sides Together).
- Sew 1/2″ Seam Allowance along both sides.
- Sew a zig zag stitch along both sides to stop the fabric from fraying.
- Make the straps by folding both edges in 1/2″ and press.
- Then fold the strap in half, pin.
- Sew 1/8″ seam allowance along both sides of the straps.
- Do step 5-7 for both strap pieces.
- Take the main tote bag piece, fold the top edge over 1/2″, press.
- Fold this same edge on the tote bag over 1″, press & pin in place.
- Mark 3″ in from both side seams.
- Line up the outside edge of the strap along the 3″ marks and tuck under the 1″ fold.
- Sew 1/8″ seam allowance along the inside edge of the fold.
- Flip the straps upwards, pin in place.
- Sew 1/8″ seam allowance along the top edge of the tote bag.
- Sew an X formation along all four straps where they connect with the tote bag.
And that is how you can sew an easy tote bag! I hope you enjoyed the process 🙂
Please pin the below image to share this project with others. I appreciate your help in spreading the word!