Use this free pattern to sew a quilted valentines table runner. There is a beginner and intermediate version, so let’s get sewing!
What you need to sew this Valentines Table Runner:
- All Fabric should be quilted cotton (preferably non directional fabric)
- Two different white print fabrics (1/2 yard each)
- One pink fabric (1 1/2 Yards)
- Batting (thin cotton batting)
- Backing (cotton)
- Binding (optional)
- Matching thread (all purpose or cotton depending on your preference)
Sewing the Heart Blocks:
Cut List for one Heart (make two):
- 6 – 3.5″ by 3.5″ Squares in white
- 2 – 3.5″ by 3.5″ Squares in pink
- 8 Half Square Triangles (HST) made with
- 4 – 4″ by 4″ Squares in white
- 4 – 4″ by 4″ Squares in pink
Follow the YouTube tutorial to make this heart block HERE.
Step 1: Take the 4″ squares, lay the right sides together (one white, one pink), mark a line down the center.
Step 2: Sew a 1/4″ seam along both sides of that line before cutting down that same marked line.
Step 3: Press 1/2 square triangle seams open and snip away the excess tags that hang past the edge.
Step 4: Lay out all 16 squares to create a heart, sew them together remembering to press open all the seams as you go.
The finished size of the Heart Block will be 12.5″ by 12.5″
Sewing the XOXO Blocks:
Cut List for one X or O (make 4 X’s and 4 O’s):
Skip this step if you are doing the beginner version.
- 4 – 3.5″ by 3.5″ Squares in white
- 8 – 2″ by 2″ Squares in pink
Follow the YouTube tutorial to make these X’s and O’s block HERE.
Step 1: Lay one small square right sides together in the corner of the larger square, mark a line on the small square from point to point.
Step 2: Sew directly along this line (I have a faster way to do this that is best seen in this YouTube Tutorial.)
Step 3: Do this on opposite corners so you have two small squares attached to one larger square
Step 4: Trim away the excess fabric and press open the seams
Step 5: Sew four of these blocks together creating an X or O.
The Finished size of one X or O is 6.5″ by 6.5″
Sew Together the Quilted Valentines Table Runner:
Step 1: Sew all 8 X’s and O’s together using a 1/4″ seam allowance
- For the beginner version you skip the X’s and O’s and cut out one piece of fabric at 12.5″ by 24.5″ attaching the heart blocks to either side of this piece of fabric using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
Step 2: Attach one heart to either side of the X’s and O’s using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
Step 3: Attach the short strips to either end of either heart and then attach the long strips to each side. (1/4″ seam allowance as always.)
Cut list for the Boarder Strips:
Cut all four strips from the pink fabric:
- Cut two short strips at 12.5″ by 2.5″
- Cut two long strips at 50.5″ by 2.5″
Step 4: Press these seams open or to the side before quilting and adding the homemade binding.
Finish the Quilted Valentines Table Runner:
There are two ways to finish your table runner and I have tutorials for both ways.
Beginner table runner tutorial: Finish your table runner using this no binding method. (skip to minute 5:27)
Intermediate table runner tutorial: Finish your table runner suing this no math binding method.
The Quilted Valentines Table Runners finished size will be 15.5″ by 50.5″.
I hope you enjoyed this free valentine’s day table runner tutorial and if you make one please tag me on instagram as I would love to see your versions. Happy Sewing!