You read that right! This is a PICKY Hexagon Table Topper that a BEGINNER can still sew!
This means that you will be able to use directional fabric, frame a special print in the center, make it larger or smaller AND use up your scraps.
Now before I jump into the tutorial and the free printout you will need, I would like to show you some examples of what a Picky Hexagon Table Topper will allow you to do.
*This post contains affiliate links, if you shop through them I will make a small commission which allows me to continue to make these free tutorials for you. I appreciate your support.
The hexagon on the left shows you how I was able to add directional fabric around the outer edge of this table runner.
The hexagon on the right shows you how you can easily highlight a favorite fabric print in the center of your table topper.
Look closely at the hexagon table topper on the left because this one has an image framed in the middle, then it is surrounded by different scraps along with having varying widths of strips depending on what layer you are looking at. And FINALLY, I also added a directional print around the outer edge. This shows you how flexible this picky hexagon table topper can be!
Looking at the right hexagon you will notice that the center is larger, by doing this you can speed through a bunch of these in one evening if you are trying to make a bunch quickly.
Picky Hexagon Table Topper Tutorial:
You will need:
You will need a Hexagon Ruler OR the free template download linked below.
- A variety of Cotton Fabric, Quilters Cotton is best as it is thicker.
- 505 Basting Spray and batting OR Fusible Fleece.
- Fusible Fleece (Half Yard) I Like the brand Pellon 987F. It comes in 22″ Wide & 45″ Wide. Depending how large you are making your table topper you will need to purchase accordingly.
- Cotton Fabric for the Backing
- All-Purpose Thread
- Straight Edge Long Ruler: OLFA 6″ x 24″ Frosted Acrylic Ruler or Omni Right Hand or Omni Left Hand or Shiney Merry (I don’t have this one….but would buy it if I didn’t already have one!)
- Rotary Cutter
- Cutting Mat 24″ by 36″ or larger
- Wool Pressing Mat or Ironing Board
- Iron (My Fav is this Oliso Smart Iron….but it’s a splurge)
- Basic Sewing Essentials, Sewing Machine.
Because this project is a PICKY hexagon table topper, it is flexible enough that there are a lot of options here. First decide on the size of the center hexagon, then have enough scraps or strips of fabric do go around the project a few rounds.
- Cotton Fabric for the table top
- Fusible Fleece and the Backing fabric will be cut to the exact shape of the finished table topper.
- Optional: Binding, two or three strips cut 2.5″ by WOF (Width of Fabric) sewn together will be plenty.
As I showed in the earlier examples, this is a flexible pattern. So you can make it as large or small as you want using a larger center, or wider strips going around the project.
Watch the Video Tutorial HERE:
To follow along and sew the Picky Hexagon Table Topper, watch the video tutorial HERE.
If you want to finish your table topper with sewing machine binding check this tutorial HERE.
Check out the FAST Hexagon Table Topper Tutorial HERE.
Please pin the below image to share this project with others. I appreciate your help in spreading the word!