Now that I have a scroll saw I am hunting down new ways to use it. I have a whole PINTEREST BOARD dedicated to scroll saw Ideas if you want to follow along 🙂
Making cell phone stands seems like a great way to practice with my new tool!
Scroll Saw Cell Phone Stand with FREE Template!
This post contains affiliate links, see my full disclosure here.
This simple scroll saw project is adorable and super useful.
It could work with any animal silhouette as long as the feet are flat and the tail curves up enough to hold the phone. For this tutorial I decided to make a bird.
This is a REAL DEAL Beginners project as it really was one of my first projects on my scroll saw ever!
What you will need to make this Cell Phone Stand:
- A Scrap piece of a 2by4. No shorter then 4 inches high. Try to make sure it has no knots in it. The piece I used was also only 1.5″ thick.
- A Scroll Saw. The last link is nice but THIS is the one I am drooling over, a girl can dream right!?! At this moment I am using a relic scroll saw, sigh.
- Strong Wood Blade as you are working with thicker wood.
- Sandpaper Two different grits is best. A rough grit to sand the edges and a fine grit to smooth it out. This Sandpaper Block has two grits in one.
- Painters Tape & Spray Adhesive, other methods use Transfer Paper or good ol scissors and pencil to cut out & trace the template.
- The FREE printable template is at the bottom of this post.
Alright, Lets get started by transferring the template onto your wood.
Wait a few minutes for the glue to get tacky and then press the template onto it.
After that use your scroll saw to cut around the template. The below picture shows me using template that looks like wood so it’s hard to see that its a picture on top of tape. But I promise that’s what I did! Forgot to take a pic of that step.
Notice in the picture below my saw struggled along a knot I knew was there but didn’t bother moving my stencil to a different piece of the wood. Oops. It still worked but put unnecessary strain on my scroll saw blade.
Once you have your adorable bird cut out pull off the painters tape along with the template.
Then sand the edges of your cell phone stand until they are smooth.
I painted mine but you don’t have to. Using a Varathane Spray could keep the wood look and still protect your cell phone stand giving it a nice shine.
Ahem….lets just pause for a moment of reflection….Gilmore girls…sigh….
Ok, I’m back.
Since I am a girly girl I couldn’t just leave this little bird simple. I had to add polka dots! I just used the eraser on the end of a pencil, it was easy and ended up exactly how I wanted it.
And your DONE.
I told you this scroll saw cell phone stand was an easy project. And it’s adorable to boot!
As I promised:
Here is the FREE Scroll Saw Cell Phone Template:
Not much to look at huh? lol! But it will work!
Just click on the image, save the picture and print. Before you print the image you can make changes to the sizing if you want to make a larger one. perhaps for a tablet….ooooohhhhh! I am getting ideas! First I need a tablet….he he he….